Saturday, January 2, 2010

My Worst Nightmare...FILING!!

The amount of paper that comes into my household is absolutely overwhelming. As good as I try to be about filing it, once I fall behind it is almost impossible to catch back up. Now imagine falling behind on it not only once but a lot (can't even count the number of times). In all fairness to myself I did inherit a lot of it from my better half who was supposed to handle these things. When you inherit a few years worth of filing and paper despite how hard you try on a day to day basis progress is not made.

In 2010 I have vowed to get rid of all of this paper. Instead of filing all of this in my file cabinets,I have 3 in my home office, I have decided to create a virtual file cabinet. All papers will be scanned and filed accordingly on my external drive. The task just began yesterday but I will post a few pictures so you can see what exactly I am working with. Brace yourself because the pictures are not going to be pretty. There are 4 areas that need to be tackled.







































It is a mess, I know, please don't shun and shame me. I already feel totally ashamed looking at these pictures. If all I had to do with my life was eat, sleep, and file then of course this wouldn't be so disastrous. Guess what, there is something called LIFE, that is a lot more important to me than being stuck in this office filing. I do realize though that I need to take a step back and get this under control which is why on January 1, 2010 I began a serious attack on all of this. Armed with a scanner, a shredder, and an external drive I have already filed more in the last 2 days than the last 2 months combined. Who knew it could be this easy.

I am giving myself 1 month to get through this madness. Let me clarify, I am talking about the papers that have not made it into the file cabinets yet. Everything that is sitting in a pile waiting to be filed will be gone. I have been diligently shredding as I go so the paper is getting out of here. Once I finish an area you can best believe I will be posting pictures of a new and improved workspace.

While this has been all taken pretty lightly I will say that it is something that can get out of hand and serious. Excessive amounts of clutter for me means a cluttered mind and state of being. In no way do I want to feel or live like that. I want to walk in my office and be happy to work in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment